These, for me, are the two most depressing paintings in western history. They were painted by post-impressionist Henry de Toulouse-Lautrec, a man who, due to inbreeding, was born with a genetic disorder that prevented his legs from growing after they were broken. After being so thoroughly mocked for is appearance, he became an alcoholic, which is what eventually caused his institutionalization and death. His only known romantic relations were with prostitutes.
And then he paints something like this which is so beautiful and tender and sentimental. It seems like the couple in bed really loves each other—cares about each other. Wakes up happy to look at each other. And I see that love and passion and I wonder how lonely he must have been. I wonder how he could paint something like this without it breaking his heart.
Maybe they say artists should create what they know, not because its unbelievable when they extend themselves beyond their experiences, but because when they pull it off with such elegance, it’s so damn unbearable to look at. I hate thinking of Lautrec, wondering about the lovers he created and knowing it was beyond his experience. Creating something that he knows is beautiful and knows he’ll never really understand.
THE COLUMBUS MENTAL HOSPITAL, TICO CEMETERY
This is one of the cemeteries where the state of Ohio buried the residents of the mental hospital whose families either didn’t claim them or were too poor to afford to do it themselves. The gravestones are all the same size and shape, and most are simply a name with a birth and death date.
The most striking feature is that there are 2 gravestones marked “SPECIMEN.” What that could possibly entail is horrifying.
Reddit has a page (r/LetsNotMeet) dedicated to stories about stalkers, being creeped on & strange encounters. The stories here are supposedly true, and are people’s unfortunate experiences. Here are the top 10, that make your heart skip a beat. The real fears in life are ofcourse humans and what we are capable of.
Trigger warnings for everything here. Stories may include sexual abuse, child abuse & physical abuse.
- THEY DIDN’T KNOW I UNDERSTOOD SPANISH: The reason I will always hesitate to take public transportation espically during the night
- NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED: I … just … just read this
- DR.RAMSEY: He needs to kept in jail for the rest of his life
- MY MOM USED TO CLEAN HOUSES, SHE QUIT AFTER THIS: I would quit too
- STRANGER UNDER THE BED: Her story is many people’s worst nightmares
- ROOMMATE WANTED: FEMALE ONLY: Oh jesus
- THE SMILING MAN: They made this into a short film
- I’M HER UNCLE: The reason to keep a watchful eye on your children at all times
- TERRORIZED FOR 2 HOURS: Trust your gut feeling
- DON’T TELL MOM: Dogs are the best creatures on Earth
Feel free to post your own LetsNotMeet stories on this reddit thread or on tumblr.
You may also like: GLITCH IN THE MATRIX
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.